20 Worst Venue Names in U.S.
Posted by ZA on July 22, 2008
With the news that the Chicago Cubs’ owner the Tribune Company just received the first round of bids from potential suitors for venerable Wrigley Field, I thought it would be a good idea to examine what are some of the worst venue names in the United States today. From the strange names to the downright stupid, we rank the top 20 worst venue names in the U.S.
Top 20 Worst Venue Names in the United States:
20. The Norva (Norfolk, Virginia)
* Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode, “Mulva!”
19. Crocodile Rock (Allentown, Pennslyvania)
* Don’t ever name your venue after a cheesy Elton John song (ever!).
18. iPayOne Center (San Diego, California)
* Dotcom venue sponsorships often don’t work.
17. Benedum Center (Pittsburgh, Pennslyvania)
* Just sounds boring.
16. Minute Maid Park (Houston, Texas)
* I liked it better when it was Enron FIeld.
15. University of Phoenix Stadium (Glendale, Arizona)
* Online college has nothing to do with City of Phoenix.
14. Petco Park (San Diego, California)
* Goofy name, but it keeps growing on me.
13. Mellon Arena (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)
* Not named for Thornton Melon.
12. Whataburger Field (Corpus Christi, Texas)
* Great burgers, weird name for a stadium.
11. Littlejohn Coliseum (Clemson, South Carolina)
* Venues shouldn’t be named after Robin Hood characters.
10. Quicken Loans Arena (Cleveland, Ohio)
* Corporate naming rights gone wrong.
9. Papa Johns Stadium (Louisville, Kentucky)
* Fast food companies after second worst after dotcom companies.
8. Taco Bell Arena (Boise, Idaho)
* I wonder how often they play the “Doooooooooooooong”?
7. Energy Solutions Center (Salt Lake City, Utah)
* They could jazz up the place with a great nickname like the Power Palace.
6. Dunkin Donuts Center (Providence, Rhode Island)
* Time to make the donuts.
5. Superpages.com Center (Dallas, Texas)
* Drop the .com and it goes from horrible to just plain bad.
4. Glass Bowl Stadium (Toledo, Ohio)
* The best of the worst, my favorite bad name venue.
3. Amway Center (Orlando, Florida)
* For every ticket you buy, you have to sell 6 more to friends.
2. Bagley Field at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium (Greenville, South Carolina)
* The Fick rocks! I’m sure they were all great people, but the combination is horrendous.
1. Jobing.com Arena (Glendale, Arizona)
* The worst possible dotcom name they could put on a venue.